Your obstetrician or midwife sends you for fetal monitoring. When you view your baby on the monitor, you see him sucking his thumb. Do you have concern your child may be a thumb sucker? Which answer below is incorrect?
- Sucking reflexes is actually a normal reflex for a fetus and newborn
- It is a sign of hunger for your little one
- Allowing the baby to suck on the fingers or thumb can have a calming and soothing effect on your newborn
- This can be a problem if the child continues doing this beyond the age of four. At this age the permanent teeth are presenting and can cause damage to the teeth or child’s bite.
- You should remove the fingers or thumb from the mouth immediately and offer a pacifier. This is a negative habit, it should not be allowed to start.